Mazel Day School is currently interviewing teachers for the 2018-2019 school year. Positions available in Grades Kindergarten through Grade 4.
About Mazel Day School:
Mazel Day School is a nursery-grade 8 Jewish Day School located in South Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide child-centered, values-oriented educational experiences characterized by academic excellence. Mazel’s close-knit community of parents, teachers and students offers a warm and professional working environment.
Summary of Head Teacher Job Description:
• Facilitate a progressive and child-centered classroom environment.
• Implement appropriate grade-level curricula in all subject areas.
• Bachelors degree in education, Masters preferred.
• Three or more years classroom teaching experience preferred
• Mastery in content subject area
The Ideal candidate would demonstrate:
- an enthusiastic attitude and commitment to professional development
- a warm and caring personality
- a strong ability to communicate and build effective relationships within the school community
- a progressive, passionate and articulate educational vision and love of learning
- a life imbued with core Jewish values, a sensitivity and openness to the diversity of Jewish practice in our school community and the pluralistic nature of our student and parent populations
- strong organizational skills with an ability to think creatively and strategically, maintain an open mind, and inspire the creative ideas of students
- experience with and knowledge of curriculum standards and developmental stages of children
- experience in a student-centered educational model.
Competitive Salary: Commensurate with experience and education
Hours: Full-Time (8:30am-4:15pm)
We also offer:
• Flexible health care and dependent care spending accounts
• Company paid basic life insurance
• Ongoing support and guidance from a team of educational experts
• Week-long orientation prior to working in a classroom
• Two Annual Professional Development days
• Advancement opportunities into leadership positions
• Paid personal sick days
• Paid vacations
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The classroom teacher is responsible for teaching all subject areas
- Planning to meet the needs of all children, differentiating instruction accordingly.
- Enabling the social/emotional, physical, spiritual and intellectual development of each child.
- Responsible for considering their students’ social-emotional growth as well as their intellectual development.
- Complete and document student assessments throughout the year, and write three comprehensive progress reports for each trimester.
- Responsible for designing, organizing and maintaining a materials-based classroom that reflects the curriculum and current work of the children
- Creating and preparing an interactive learning environment and appropriate materials that serve the curriculum.
- Responsible for implementing curriculum in all areas based on children's developmental capacities and needs and current understanding of learning, instruction and interdisciplinary curriculum development.
- Co-teachers meet together to communicate with parents on behalf of the children in the class.
- Teacher must meet and plan curriculum with the Curriculum Coordinator who is responsible for the development and implementation of the curriculum.
- An interest in his/her own professional growth is expected.
- Each teacher meets regularly with his/her supervising Educational Director and participates in weekly staff meetings.
- As part of a diagnostic team, teachers also work with specialists (school counselor, learning specialist and service coordinator), meeting with parents, tutors and therapists.
- Teachers are responsible to maintain ongoing communication with parents, meeting with them three times yearly for individual conferences in the fall, winter and spring and as needed.
- Email communication and class updates are expected on a regular basis.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume and references by email to Educational Directors: Chani Okonov and Sonya Finkel-Levy at
Job application link: ONLINE APPLICATION -